An ordinary citizens election manifesto
Lok Sabha elections are round the corner. We are seeing manifestos of all parties and evaluating them to help us decide whom to vote for. I have been thinking what is my wish list purely from an ordinary citizens perspective. This may not be all encompassing, but what I feel is important for a good living. So in a series of posts, which I will keep simple and short, I hope to present my expectations.
 
1. Good Quality Drinking Water at Home
Water is a basic requirement of Living. What is the status today?
Even after 72 years of a free India, I buy drinking water in plastic cans, which I store in a plastic container and use it for drinking. For other uses, I use bore water and/or well water, that is I am using the ground water. I am not sure of the quality of the water, I assume it is of good quality. The water I buy is certified so I assume it is good. The bore water I use, we check quality once in a while, it is not perfect but potable. We get municipal water but only in one tap in the house, but when the city reservoirs do not have much water, the municipal water does not come or comes at lower frequency. Hence the dependence on ground water.
Is this a good position?
I am not sure this is a good position to be in. One I am buying water, which is processed in a factory, stored and then transported. I have to pay for it, which is fine. I use ground water, which keeps going down and gets replenished if there is good rain. Thank God nature works in our favor. Not sure if this is a sustainable solution.
What do we want?
I do expect that we get good quality piped drinking water delivered home 24 hours a day. I do not want to buy water and do not want to store it. I should have the confidence that the water is of good quality so that the entire family can use it for its various needs. We should be able to drink the water from the tap. This must be provided without impacting the environment much and hence it must be sustainable. The same standard of service must be maintained across India at all times. I am willing to pay for this service, but those who are not able to, may be provided the service either free or at a very low cost. Water conservation must be promoted so that we leave enough for the next generation.
 

Comments